Medium calculates your earnings based on the reading time and engagement of Medium members who read your content. The more time and attention members spend on your content, the more money you earn.
You can access your stats page by clicking on your profile picture in the top-right corner of the page and selecting Stats from the menu. You can also filter your stats by time period or by story.
You can use these metrics to measure how well your content is performing on Medium and how much money you are earning from it. You can also use these metrics to identify what works and what doesn’t work for your content strategy.
To track and analyze your earnings and performance on Medium, you can use Medium’s stats page. Medium’s stats page shows you various metrics such as views, reads, fans, claps, comments, earnings, distribution status, internal vs external views, traffic sources, member reading time, etc.
The Medium Partner Program is a program that allows writers to earn money from their content based on the engagement of Medium members. The paywall is a feature that limits the access of non-members to your content.
To set your content behind the paywall, you need to click on the toggle switch next to “Make my story eligible to earn money”. You will then see a pop-up window that asks you to choose between “Free” or “Members Only”.
By promoting your content on other platforms and channels, you can increase your traffic, visibility, and reading time, which helps you make more money on Medium.
5. Use Medium’s Analytics and Insights to Measure Your Earning Performance
The quality and engagement of your content are the main factors that determine how much money you can earn on Medium.
- You need to write content that provides value and solves problems for your readers.
- You also need to write content that captures attention and curiosity, hooks readers and makes them want to read more, delivers on your promise, and answers your readers’ questions.
- You also need to write about topics that are relevant and trending on Medium in addition to evergreen topics to build loyalty with your readers.
3. Publish in Popular and Relevant Publications That Have a Large and Loyal Audience of Medium Members
Therefore, the fastest way to earn $100 on Medium is to build a following, write articles your tribe wants to read, get your stories read longer, and increase your follower count.
What Is the Most Profitable Topic On Medium?
To go deeper into the topic of becoming a better, and more profitable, Medium writer, visit our in-depth guide on the topic of writing on Medium after you’re done reading this page.
Additionally, each time you convert a non-paying reader to a paying Medium member you get half of that reader’s membership fee, net of standard payment processor fees, for as long as they are an active member.
How to Earn $100 On Medium?
You can also use your Medium articles to generate leads, grow your email list, or direct traffic to your website or landing page. You can then offer your products or services to your audience, such as books, courses, coaching, consulting, etc.
The minimum payout threshold is $10. If your earnings are less than $10 in a given month, they will be rolled over to the next month until you reach the threshold.
How to Increase Your Earnings and Reach More Medium Members
If you meet these requirements, you can apply to join the program by going to medium.com/earn and clicking “Apply Now.”
As you discovered, there are several ways for how to earn money on Medium to increase how much you get paid on the Medium platform. By following the tips on this page about improving, tracking, and analyzing your earnings and performance on Medium, you can further improve your income as a writer on this platform.
Another more way to make money on Medium is to sell your own products or services through your content. You can use your content to showcase your expertise, demonstrate your value, and build trust with your audience.
We hope you enjoyed this guide on how to make money on Medium.
Here are some tips to help you achieve these goals:
- Write about topics that are relevant, trending, or evergreen on Medium. Use Medium’s topics and tags to find out what people are interested in and searching for.
- Write catchy headlines and subtitles that capture attention and curiosity. Use keywords, numbers, questions, or emotional triggers to entice readers to click on your content.
- Write compelling introductions that hook readers and make them want to read more. Use stories, anecdotes, statistics, quotes, or questions to draw readers in.
- Write clear and concise body paragraphs that deliver on your promise and answer your readers’ questions. Use headings, subheadings, bullet points, lists, quotes, images, videos, or other media to break up your text and make it easy to scan.
- Write strong conclusions that summarize your main points and provide a clear call to action. Tell readers what to do next, such as share your content, follow you, leave a comment, or sign up for your newsletter.
- Publish consistently and frequently to build trust and loyalty with your readers. Aim for at least one story per week or more if possible.
- Publish in popular and relevant publications that have a large and loyal audience of Medium members. Follow their submission guidelines and editorial standards to increase your chances of getting accepted and featured.
- Promote your content on other platforms and channels that have a large and relevant audience of potential Medium members. Share your content on social media, forums, websites, newsletters, podcasts, or other channels where your target audience hangs out.
- Engage with your readers and other writers on Medium. Respond to comments, clap for stories, follow writers, join conversations, or start discussions. Build relationships and community with people who share your interests and passions.
How to Track and Analyze Your Earnings and Performance
This guide explains how to make money on Medium.
To earn $100 on Medium, you need to join the Medium Partner Program and set your content behind the paywall. You also need to write high-quality and engaging content that attracts Medium members and encourages them to spend more time reading your content.
Medium pays $15-30 per 1,000 views on average and earnings are based on reading time and not pageviews. The total amount you get paid depends on the length of time Medium members spend reading your stories.
To get paid for your Medium writing, you will need to provide your personal information, payment information, and tax information. You will also need to agree to the terms and conditions of the program.
Writers can choose their preferred payment service from options such as PayPal, Ko-Fi, Patreon, or Buy Me A Coffee. Tipping is a way to earn extra income from your writing and to build relationships with your readers.
7. Promote Your Products and Services
Below, you’ll learn how to earn money on Medium as well as get tips on increasing how much you get paid on the Medium platform. Additionally, there’s a section with guidance on tracking and analyzing your earnings and performance on Medium so you can further improve your income as a writer on this platform.
Tipping is a feature that allows readers to show their appreciation for your stories by sending you tips through a third-party tipping link to your preferred payment service. Tipping is optional for both writers and readers.
And, because Medium content ranks in search engines like Google, Yahoo, and Bing, your articles and stories can get discovered for relevant keywords. See this related guide on improving your Medium SEO strategy to take advantage of the power of search engine optimization on Medium.
How Medium Calculates Your Earnings and Pays You
Medium provides various tools and features to help you track and analyze your performance and improve your strategy. You can access your stats page by clicking on your profile picture in the top-right corner of the page and selecting Stats from the menu.
Publications on Medium are collections of stories curated by an editor or a team of editors. Publications can have a specific topic, niche, audience, or theme, and have their own rules, guidelines, and standards for accepting and publishing stories.
Publishing in a publication can have several benefits to earn more money on Medium, such as getting more exposure and distribution for your content, gaining feedback and engagement from your readers, enhancing the credibility and authority of your content, and finding new opportunities and connections for your writing career.
Personal finance and investing are the most profitable topics on Medium with the highest earnings per read with an average of $0.20 per read based on Medium’s Partner Program articles. Other profitable topics include personal development, entrepreneurship, productivity, writing, technology, and health.
Make Money On Medium Summary
To join the Medium Partner Program, you need to meet these eligibility requirements:
- Have at least 100 followers on Medium.
- Have published at least one story on Medium in the past (Note: stories must follow Medium rules, cannot be responses, and must not include the following topics: meta posts about the Partner Program, follow-for-follow activity, or non-organic follower growth).
- Reside in a country where Stripe, Medium’s payment processor, operates.
- Be 18 years and above.
- Publish a new story at least once every six months to keep the partner status.
For example, you can share your content on social media platforms such as Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, Pinterest, Reddit, etc. You can also share your content on forums, websites, newsletters, podcasts, or other channels where your target audience hangs out.
To publish in a publication, you need to find a publication that matches your topic and niche and that accepts submissions from writers. Then, you need need to follow their submission guidelines and process to make money from your Medium content.
4. Promote Your Content on Other Platforms and Channels
Medium is not the only place where you can share your content and reach your audience. You can also promote your content on other platforms and channels that have a large and relevant audience of potential Medium members.
If you choose “Free”, your content will be accessible to everyone, but you will not earn money from it. If you choose “Members Only”, your content will be accessible only to Medium members who pay a monthly or annual fee, but you will earn money from it.
2. Write High-Quality and Engaging Content That Attracts and Retains Medium Members
Delivering the Best SEO Tips…
How to Make Money On Medium
1. Join the Medium Partner Program and Set Your Content Behind the Paywall
You can also filter your stats by time period or by story. On your stats page, you can see various metrics such as views, reads, fans, claps, comments, earnings, distribution status, internal vs external referrals, traffic sources, member reading time, etc.
Some of the metrics that you should pay attention to are:
- Views: The number of times someone saw a preview of your story on Medium.
- Reads: The number of times someone read at least 50% of your story on Medium.
- Read ratio: The percentage of views that turned into reads. A higher read ratio means that more people are interested in reading your content.
- Fans: The number of people who clapped for your story on Medium.
- Earnings: The amount of money that you earned from your story on Medium based on the reading time and engagement of Medium members.
- Internal vs external referrals: The percentage of views that came from within Medium vs outside of Medium.
- Member reading time: The total amount of time that Medium members spent reading your story on Medium. This metric is used to calculate your earnings.
How Much Does Medium Pay Per 1,000 Views?
The Editorial Staff at SEO Chatter is a team of search engine optimization and digital marketing experts led by Stephen Hockman with more than 15 years of experience in search engine marketing. We publish guides on the fundamentals of SEO for beginner marketers.
You can use these metrics to measure how well your content is performing on Medium and how much money you are earning from it. You can also use these metrics to identify what works and what doesn’t work for your Medium content strategy.
6. Turn On the Tipping Feature for Your Stories
Medium pays you every month through Stripe, Medium’s payment processor. You will receive an email notification when your earnings are available in your Stripe account. You can then transfer your earnings to your bank account or debit card.
Writers can turn on the tipping feature for their stories under the Publishing tab in their user settings to earn money from Medium. Readers can tip writers by clicking on the tip button at the bottom of their stories.
To increase your earnings and reach more Medium members, you need to write high-quality and engaging content that provides value and solves problems for your readers. You also need to optimize your content for Medium’s distribution system and algorithm.